Sunday, March 11, 2007

The promise

The sun feels warm on the back of my winter coat. A couple of magpie’s are adding a new layer to their already giant nest high up in the still leafless poplar. The sound of birds singing and or calling out to each other everywhere. Excitement fills the air. Our park is unusually busy on this Sunday afternoon. Couples with kids, youngsters on inline skates and people on bikes. Lots of activity on the pond too. Drakes chasing after a female who doesn’t seem to be in the mood yet. The unpopular intruding Egyptian goose claiming the little island for him and his mate to breed, nosily chasing every other water bird away. Japanese cherries already in bloom, showing vibrant pink, bushes coming to life sprouting soft green leaves. Yellow the colour of the weeping willow. My senses are on full alert. I feel, see, hear and smell the promise of spring in the air. The dog on my side oblivious to everything, her eyes fixed on the ball on my hand

2 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

I just love the way you narate the events. People here just use the plain, uninteresting "male duck" because I bet they don't know what a male duck is called.

Marloes said...

It's the same in Holland Ces, people start to talk in MSN language. Soon they can't remember the emotions that go with emoticons.