Saturday, March 24, 2007

Slow lane

My days in real life are non stop but not on the net. There I opt for the slow lane, taking a detour, a rest here and there. Young wiz kids pass me by, right left and centre. I really don’t care. Somehow I will end up in the same destination, maybe a week, a month a year later but hey! I at least enjoyed the ride. My Virb page has had my attention for the last few weeks and slowly I’m getting the look I aim for. Not having had any experience with CSS I find it takes me longer to adjust then it would have a couple of years ago. Starting out in ’99 I mastered basic HTML really quickly. I even did a basic course online to make my own homepage (not that I ever did. There are too many, easy to work with options to be found all over the place).
Now somehow the idea of finding a course to master CSS just doesn’t appeal to me. I just can’t be bothered to invest time to learn a whole new ‘language”. I think I’m going to stick to the slow lane from now on and enjoy the view

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully understand where you are coming from when it comes to learning a new language.

Here in the US, you would be hard pressed to find many native born people who speak a language besides English. On the other hand, we're expected to know HTML, CSS, Oracle, and a host of other web applications, languages in their own right.

There are times I would prefer to have the European verbal language capabilities than the typically American computer language capabilities.

You write very well in English too -- keep it up!

Marloes said...

Thank you Matt. In Europe we need to be able to speak more then one language. Just a few kilometers from here the common language is German, across the sea they speak English and this summer I will be in Italy. If I only spoke Dutch I wouldn't get very far.