Monday, September 17, 2007

Autumn


Autumn to winter, winter into spring,
Spring into summer, summer into fall,
So rolls the changing year, and so we change;
Motion so swift, we know not that we move.
Dinah Maria Mulock

Long before it’s time I feel my body settling into autumn mode. There is a dull pain in my bones that tell me summer is definitely over. I hate autumn. Drab gray hours flow into early darkness long before the day is done. I might have a moment of joy on a sunny day when the park shows it’s full blazing colours from yellow to deep amber brown and fiery red, but most of the time I just wish I’d live in a warmer climate. I need the warmth of the sun to make me sparkle. The feel of a summer breeze on naked skin is like a soft caress. Autumn brings gloom, cold feet and scowling people hiding under umbrella’s that are to big to let you pass safely on a sidewalk.
Autumn, too depressing for words.

2 comments:

Dale said...

You're an honourary Canadian now Marloes. Those sentiments are shared by many here.

I like autumn to a point, the colours as you said, the warm days and cool nights but then, winter must settle in, that depresses me more.

Ces Adorio said...

Alas, I love Autumn. I wish we have real Autumn here where the leaves change colors. Instead they just wither and fall to the ground. I always love autumn because of the fashion. But no autumn her. It was 92 degrees the other day. I am sweating bullets!