Friday, September 7, 2007

Memories

Mesmerized I watch the screen. Strings of joy, but also pain tugging at my heart as pictures of yesteryear unfold in front of my eyes. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, all long gone. And there is my mother. Always my mother, so elegant, smiling at the man behind the camera. Her pretty face not yet distorted by the lines of discontent that were formed in later years. My mother as I want to remember her. Happy, young, beautiful. My brothers, sisters, so young. Family outings, the vacations spend at the seaside. The building of our house. Christmas at my grandmothers. Seeing all the familiar faces, the pictures on the wall, the little traditions that we had. I cry for the for the love that was lost, the happiness that disappeared but once had been so obvious.
Four precious DVD’s with images of my youth, my hometown, the street where we lived.
Just for a little while I am back where I belong

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do think you look a lot like her, don't you?
You wrote a beautiful, deeply touching story here.. hope you're able to cherish those memories.. next to the pain they cause you..

(by the way:
- I just voted for you, good luck on those sky-high ratings ;-)))
- really love the link you left me.. Your creations were incredibly beautiful!! I wish you the peace and quiet to inspire you again..

Marloes said...

@ellen, whenever I visit our hometown, I scare people half to death because they think they see my mom...we are very alike although I don't see it...
Thank you for your vote and compliment. I'm still searching for a new idea to work on/with

Dale said...

That's a wonderful post and it says so much in so few words, mesmerizing in itself.

Marloes said...

Thank you Dale. I appreciate all your comments, but this one especially because it was kind of tough to write