Sunday, October 21, 2007

A drink with someone from history

If you could have a beer with someone from history, who would it be? Graham asked his readers in general and me in particular. History never really was my favorite subject. In fact I hated the amount we needed to stamp into our heads from an early age. Boring names and dates. They would leave my brain immediately after we had been tested on a certain era.
I spend all weekend thinking about this challenge and I did come up with a few people I would love to sit down and have a drink with


Oscar Wilde would be my first choice. Over a glass of wine I would ask him what possessed him to marry and then coming out of the closet by writing The Picture of Dorian Gray. Its implied homoerotic theme was considered very immoral by the Victorians and he must have known how it would be received.




Sir Francis Drake
would probably have a beer with me. To sail to unknown parts of the world being part slave trader, part pirate he must have many a tail to tell. I would love to know what drove him to set sail for the new world.


Marilyn Monroe I would invite for a martini. A women envied by many, loved by even more and died way too young in such a tragic manner . I would love to know if there was more to her then that supposedly dumb blond exterior most people got to see. Of course her alleged affair with John F. Kennedy and how she died would be part of the conversation

5 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Marloes, these are all very good choices. I especially like Sir Francis Drake. Perhaps you can ask him about Queen Elizabeth too.

Poor Oscar. You would have drank with him after he was released from prison and he was not very healthy then. Imagine how Constance and their two sons must have felt. I like the song where his name is mentioned, I think it's by Don McLean.

...and Marilyn, what a sweet sad life.

Drink in moderation. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Great Choices! Marilyn Monroe...... I CAN'T believe I didn't think of her! It would be an interesting conversation, wouldn't it? This was a great idea Graham had, it certainly was a challenge.

Anonymous said...

A twelve pack of Budweiser with Dale Earnhart sr. and Larry the Cable guy.....although a wine spritzer or two with Ann Margaret would rate right up there...

Dale said...

Interesting choices but right now you'd probably prefer to just have a drink with a healthy person right? Get better soon!

JayV said...

My choices: Former Dutch Queen Juliana; the author Dorothy Parker (in moderation with her - she could drink me under the table!);Albert Einstein.