Friday, October 12, 2007

Indifference


She and I never got along. She could push all the wrong buttons like no other, made me want to quit my job on several occasions. Still, you would think that I would at least feel a little sorry for what happened to her , I would for any other human being.
The small circle of people who really know me would agree if I told you that I am a friendly, pretty open, in your face kinda person. I am distraught when tragedy strikes, where ever, when ever. I cry when my children are sad, I grief when loved ones pass away, I get angry when provoked and I love to laugh. Why then is it impossible for me to feel anything but indifference when told that this co-worker was very seriously hurt in an accident?
Am I really this heartless ?

9 comments:

MadPriest said...

"Why then is it impossible for me to feel anything but indifference?"
Because you don't like the woman. As you say, you're a "pretty open, in your face kinda person." Why then do you expect yourself to be less than honest in this situation?

Marloes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marloes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marloes said...

I don't madpriest, others seem to expect from me to at least show compassion. I just can't do it. It feels extremely hypocritical.

PS I made two real bad typos so I removed my own comment twice,...:)

Dale said...

That's a great article on indifference. I don't think you should feign compassion if there is none and I don't think it makes you less a person of quality.

Marloes said...

@dale, I found it while searching for the true meaning of indifference and thought my readers might like to read it too.

kj said...

you're human. that's most of it. i've felt that way too.
:)

Bonez said...

I've had a similar situation recently when my father-in-law's second wife passed away unexpectedly. I had never developed any sort of relationship with the woman and felt no sorrow upon her passing. In fact, I felt guilt because I didn't feel sorrow but I would not muster up false emotions. I did feel pain for my father-in-law, though, and we shared some special time together.

Ces Adorio said...

I know exactly how you feel! I don't wish bad things to happen to mean people but I think I would quietly accept the relief, especially if it is an abusive co-worker.