Friday, February 23, 2007

Precious

Only just two years ago, time stood still for just a few seconds as they gave me the message over the phone The death of our mother brought us closer together. Coming from a large family, we always knew we were there, but now we bonded, closed ranks. The one thing we shared for so many years, our family home, needed to be cleared and sold. Painful, sometimes hilarious, excavating little treasure from unexpected places we stripped the house from all its memories. The empty shell remained. For whatever reason I, the ever rebellious child, took leaving the house like that the hardest. I still can’t think about it without shedding a tear or two. Only just two years ago, and this weekend we are meeting for the final task. Sorting out the huge amount of pictures we found all over the house, but mainly in the old boxes stored away in the back of a cupboard none of us ever opened while visiting our mom. I so wish we had. She could have given us names, dates, places. Now we might have to guess who is who.
I will return home on Sunday with my own little treasure box. One day my children will have to deal with these old photographs, of no interest to them, so precious to me.

4 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Oh Marloes, what a daunting task. I know exactly how you feel. I too sometimes wish that I asked my mother and father many questions. I need the answers now.

I hope you will find some answers.

Anonymous said...

My husband is an amateur-genealogist. He is always hammering on the fact that it is so important to ask older members of the family names and data of people who are on old pictures. Ask them the stories and other facts, before it is too late. And of course write it down somewhere. Record their voices or make a film when this conversations take place. The problem is that we think there is time enough...and that is not so. Another good idea is: appoint an older (and capable interested) member of the family as 'treasurer'. I know a family where the eldest daughter is keeping a very large chest with all important documents and pictures. She looks after all the important things in it. Everybody who wants to look at it, can make an appointment with her. When she gets too old to do this job, her eldest daughter is next in line. It really works! Sorry for this rather economical reaction. Of course I recognize the emotions, Marloes.

Bonez said...

Peace be with you, Marloes, as you gather your treasure box of memories.

Marloes said...

marloes.lammers@gmail.com@ Ces, as it happens it was a joyeus one. Just being together as brothers and sisters with no additions was wonderful!

@ Wieneke, my oldest sister is in charge of the pictures, my brother os all important documnets. Just in case of fire, not all is lost

@ Tony, thank you. A little peace will go a long way