Friday, May 11, 2007

Decline

There is a huge age difference between the man in this house and me. Sixteen years to be precise. This has not been a problem and it never will be either. Now he is slowly going towards 70 his mind is as sharp as ever, but his body is showing signs of physical decline. After dinner he needs to hold on to the table to steady himself. His energetic pace is slowing down and if he sits for too long a period in his favourite chair he has trouble getting up. Small deficiencies are showing up. His hearing is deteriorating, ill-fated for a man who is already 100% deaf in one ear. Pain in his right leg covered with varicose veins. Trouble cutting his fingernails because he no longer has control over his right hand. Last week, after a special intimate moment I noticed for the first time that his chest suddenly has disappeared. That broad body that I could always hide behind, the strong arms that would hold and protect me. They all seem to have disintegrated. With one extra kiss and a strong embrace I said goodbye in silence.

3 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Marloes this is so poignant and brought tears to my eyes. I know of a different relationship, mine with my late parents who were always protective and caring towards me and my siblings. One day I came home and they were frail. My heart ached. All I could do was to return the love, caring and protection they provided for me.

Ces Adorio said...

By the way, I always marvel and delight at how beautifully you express yourself.

Marloes said...

Thank you Ces, this is what I aim for. To open up emotions within my readers.