Thursday, May 17, 2007

Home sweet home

The southern hills, green countryside, wide open views, people with sing song voices. Even though I left it more then thirteen years ago, it still is my home. Today I went back to meet up with my brothers and sisters, to celebrate our youngest nephew’s first communion. The moment I pass the sign that says “Welcome to Limburg” I leave the homesickness behind and my spirits soar. The bond I have with my family is strong and although I never said it out loud, I love each and every one of them. Unconditionally and with a strength that could move mountains if need be. They know, as I know the feeling is mutual. Time, as time goes, didn’t stop. The hour to leave approached and I felt my heart grow heavy. Saying goodbye, one more hug for the little ones. Sharing just a few more titbits of information before we head for the door.
The first weekend in June, when my oldest sister celebrates her sixties birthday, we will all meet again. I can’t wait.

3 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Marloes, what a beautiful bond you have with your family. In this day and age, it is heartwarming to know that basic values persist despite the onslaught on families. More power to you and your loved ones.

kj said...

marloes, i have just read your last few posts, back to "decline". you write with great expression and humanity and honesty. i appreciate all you share.

:)

Marloes said...

@ Ces, after the death of our mother we seem to be even closer then before. Every oppertunity we get is grabbed to organize a get together.

@ kj, thank you for your kind comments. I find it hard to express myself in English the way I would in Dutch.