Thursday, May 10, 2007

History part two

There I was 17 going on 70, lost in a world of my own. Flunking high school because they didn’t teach what I needed, wanted to know, drifting from job to job until my mom decided to take me away for a vacation. The first time I set foot in Israel and I fell in love instantly. The warmth of the people, the country and last but certainly not least Avi. A blue eyed blond soldier that could pass for anything but Jewish. I returned to stay only a few months later. Settled in a kibbutz just of the Gilboa mountain, I had the time of my life. Trying to learn the language, picking olives at the wake of dawn, serving in the dining room I made heaps of friends and never, not for a moment was I ever aware of being in danger.

Returning home almost a year later I found a place to live and for a while I seemed to settle down. It wasn’t for long though. The add for stewardesses on a river cruise gave me a second change to escape. That was the point of no return. After the season I went to Portugal and Spain with a colleague. Three months of exploring and drifting from place to place until my money ran out. Not wanting to go home again I called in some favours and took the train to England.
London, what is there not to love? Starting in Wembley and slowly worked my way into the inner City. Kings Road had a famous night club called Wedgies and they hired me as a receptionist. About 8 months down the road the club was losing it’s members to Annabelle’s, the new place to be and it was time to move on. By now I had developed a taste for travelling so I went back to Holland to work as a river cruise stewardess once more. My aim was to safe up enough money to make the giant step across the ocean. America here I come but fate had different plans for me.

2 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Marloes, you are filling me up with goosebumps early this morning. Your life story is incredibly exciting and full of adventure. I can't wait for more. Pardon me for being trite but to say it like the kids: You are so cool!

Marloes said...

Part three is on it's way Ces.