Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Familiar places

Time does have a tendency to fly when you’re having fun. A room with a view, the all familiar seaside resort, the little white church, the lighthouse and all the people I care most about around me. Walking up and down the beach, getting used to the cold water. Loving the feel of the sand between my toes. Watching children building castles with deep moats at the flood line, naked babies with buckets trying to catch the outgoing tide. Shells just waiting to be picked up.
Great company, wonderful music and good food and wine. Singing Happy Birthday at twelve which is also the end of the party. In this part of the country Sunday rest is still respected. The long line of happy people walking along to boulevard on their way back to the hotel. Youngsters up front, eager to find a spot still open for them to enjoy just one more drink. We, the older ones, sauntering, enjoying the cool breeze, deeply inhaling salty air.
I will have to hold on to these memories for a while, the next time we are going to meet is at the end of summer. I don’t have a box big enough to lock them all away.

4 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, I felt that I was right there with you. Toes in the sand and everything! So glad it's been a weekend to really remember and hold dear.

Marloes said...

I so love my family weekends Jenn. It seems that my sisters feel the same way. Since the dearh of our mother we seem to want to spend more and more time together.

Dondi Tiples said...

Wow, you sure do paint a lovely seaside scene with your words alone. I could almost smell the salt in the air.

Bonez said...

You are a very good writer and should feel confident in your English abilities. You've painted a beautiful verbal picture that brings your reader right into the experience with you and allows them to smell the sea salts themselves. Thank you.